The Ding is a guide to anything to do with Reading generally: arts, culture, community, business, services, history, sports, recreation, education, politics etc...
We don't want to replace any existing sites and groups covering Reading or areas or groups within Reading: where these exist we'll link to them. For example there are:
- Explore Reading a recent (July 2017) site reporting on "things to do, places to eat or drink and cultural events to check out in Reading, UK"
- Reading Forum bulletin board
- Next Door - another web-based forum, which looks a bit like facebook (incorporates the old Streetlife)
- Facebook groups
We also have our own The Ding Facebook group for day-to-day discussions and events.
This wiki currently has these pages:
Here are some other topics this site could cover:
- 1 Recreation: arts, culture, entertainment, sports etc
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Government
- 2.2 Housing
- 2.3 Transport
- 2.4 Services
- 2.5 Children
- 2.6 Education
- 2.7 Health
- 2.8 Maps
- 2.9 media
- 2.10 other
- 2.11 Trades
- 2.12 Free give/request groups
- 2.13 Buy/sell groups
- 2.14 Non-cash trading
- 3 Charity / Voluntary sector
- 4 History
- 5 Others
Recreation: arts, culture, entertainment, sports etc
Reading Arts and Venues Hexagon, South St, Progress Theatre etc
- Pictures At Our Exhibition with Aldworth Philharmonic Orchestra
- Artists' studio trails - Whiteknights, Caversham
- Rising Sun Arts Centre
Birding (Bird Watching)
Cafes & Restaurants
Tutu's Ethiopian Table at Global Cafe - Tuesday to Friday, until 9pm
"All the Indian restaurants, many of the Chinese, there are 2 good Lebanese restaurants (The Bakery House being one), Wagamumas, The Handmade Burger Company (4 vegan burgers), the various sushi bars such as Itsu, The Lounges, Wetherspoons has a vegan menu, Zizzi has a vegan menu, mission burrito, The Flowing Spring, Nandos(!), Greek restaurants are normally good (one in Caversham), Toby Carvery(!), Pret is advancing quickly." On the question of ghee in Indian food: "Most times ghee is vegetable oil because of the cost. The restaurant will boast about butter in a dish if it contains it."
"Alto lounge caversham and Bosco lounge Woodley"
Spice Oven in Caversham used to have an extensive vegan menu but I think the number of dishes has been reduced as it attempts to include more "international" cuisines.
- Reading Museum at Town Hall
- Museum of English Rural Life
- URE museum @ UoR
- Medical museum @ hospital
- Blake's Lock?
- Woodley Air Museum
Parks & Gardens
- University grounds
- Harris Gardens
- RISC roof garden
- Caversham Court
- Clayfield Copse
- Dinton Pastures
- Beale Park
- NGS gardens scheme
- Erleigh Road Community Garden facebook
Pubs & Bars
- running - park runs, half marathon, fun runs
- football, rugby, tennis, rowing
- Central pools
- cemetery junction?
- King's Meadow lido?
- Northumberland Ave leisure centre
- South St
walking clubs / meet-up groups etc?
Local: Reading, Wokingham, West Berks, South Oxon Westminster Europe
wards find councillor
- Draught Busters - a range of resources for improving the comfort and energy efficiency of houses, either DIY or help for those who can't do their own.
Reading Borough Council
- Parking page
- Penalty Charge Notices (parking tickets) (also bus lane fines)
- PCN details form to eneter numberplate and PCN number to find details of the PCN and to appeal
Reading bin dates, what you can put in recycling bins etc
- see also forthcoming changes to bin days
Smallmead Recycling Centre aka the "Tip"
More about the Tip (including permits) at RBC's Rubbish page
Noise & nuisance
Noise & nuisance caused by University students: Report to Sarah Gardner, Community Relations Manager  0118 378 6764. The uni security can be contacted on 0118 378 7799. Video / audio / photographs / addresses help.
Smoky buses and lorries
Report a smoky lorry or bus Report an excessively smoky lorry or bus exhaust to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). (You can’t report other types of smoky vehicles to DVSA.)
NCT Nappy Library (Facebook page) information, advice and support on all things cloth nappies!
Childcare & Early Years
Childcare Reading Services Guide
Rose Garden Early Years Christchurch Gardens RG2 7AH
- parent/carere and child groups, and nursery
List of Schools in Reading Wikipedia
Alder Bridge Steiner-Waldorf School at Aldermaston Wharf, Padworth, just off A4
College & University
- New Directions
Extra-mural / evening classes
- Oxford Uni courses at London Rd
- Kirks in Whitley Street
- Eyesite on Friar Street
- Stephen Abery near Brookside Surgery in Gipsy Lane / back of Asda complex
- Leightons - seem to be recommendations for various branches including Woodley and Wokingham
- council boundaries
- Reading and Wokingham boundaries - discussion
- parliamentary boundaries
- postcode areas (wikipedia)
- parking restrictions
- cycle routes
- BBC Radio Berkshire
- 2-ten fm
- BBC South TV
- Get Reading
- Reading Chronicle
- University - Spark?
- Alt Reading - online magazine focusing on arts, entertainment and culture in Reading.
- Bicycle Kitchen
- Room hire (RISC, Wycliffe baptist church on the kings road)
- Catering (Gyorgi & Rina?)
Free give/request groups
- FREE STUFF in Reading Facebook group
- Buy and sell in Reading Facebook
- Readings NO1 buy and sell anything!!!!!!! Facebook
- Southcote Buy And Sell ! Facebook
- Items for Sale in Tilehurst and West Reading & Surrounding Area Facebook
- buy and sell anything in woodley, earley and lower earley Facebook
- LETS stands for Local Exchange Trading Scheme. It's a scheme that allows local people to exchange goods and services with one another without using money. Reading LETS' currency is called Readies: As a rough guide, 10 Readies is equivalent to one hour's work. Everyone's time is equally appreciated.
Charity / Voluntary sector
- We are a community organisation that bakes birthday cakes for families who find it difficult to provide a cake for their child.
The cakes are baked by local volunteer bakers who aim to decorate them with the child's favourite theme. It's free, friendly and confidential.
- We are part of the national Free Cakes for Kids UK network.
Reading Toy Run annual pre-xmas ride by Christian Motorcyclists across South Reading collecting toys for children, in aid of Barnardo's
Reading Refugee Response Hub Facebook group
- "Reading drop off for Calaid - Solidarity with the refugee people of Calais"
- Receiving donations and getting them to where they are needed, organising events in Reading to raise funds and awareness.
GREN: Greater Reading Environmental Network - umbrella organisation of groups and individuals around Reading who care about sustainability, environment, climate change, conservation and planning issues. (Also on facebook)
Econet (do the annual xmas tree sale at Caversham Court)
Cemetery Junction film
black history centre mural